A ladder can be a safe and effective means of working at height, but you have to be careful when ascending and descending. Rushing to go up or down a ladder may result in a nasty accident - and we've already covered the injuries that can come from falling off a ladder.
When you climb a ladder, it's important to follow these safety guidelines from the HSE (Health & Safety Executive). Here are the key things to bear in mind while ascending / descending - make sure you check your ladder before you use it!
What to do when climbing up or down a ladder
- Grip the ladder firmly
- Take one step at a time
- Face straight ahead as you climb
- Never slide down a ladder
- Don't carry any unnecessary items with you (light tools and materials only)
- Maintain at least three points of contact with the ladder at all times
- Go at a steady pace - don't rush!
Need a new ladder? Whether it's for professional use or a spot of DIY around the house, you're sure to find a suitable product here at Ladders UK Direct. We offer great prices on a wide variety of high-quality ladders, and we offer FREE delivery on all orders.
Visit Ladders UK Direct
FURTHER READING: What Not to Do on a Ladder