Do you feel like you could be making better use of your loft space? Perhaps getting a new loft ladder is a good place to start! It can be quite difficult to choose a loft ladder, after all, there are so many different types on the market. Whether you want to organise your storage space, or you want to do a full-on loft conversion - we have a loft ladder that's perfect for you here at Ladders UK Direct!
Shop Loft Ladders Now >
Loft conversions are great. They make use of the space at the top of your home that would otherwise be filled with junk and Christmas decorations. Of course, as with any home improvement project, there are some hoops that you need to jump through if you want to declare your loft conversion as an inhabitable, safe and functional extra room. The loft conversion needs to have:
- A floor that's capable of holding sufficient weight
- Easily accessible fire escape
- Safe, solid stairs to reach the new room
- Reasonable insulation between the loft and the rooms below
So, rather than looking at traditional folding loft ladders, you need to look for a loft staircase for your loft conversion. Luckily for you, we have a wide range of solid loft staircases on offer from reputable brands like Dolle! These stylish wooden staircases boast a traditional finish that will complement your existing decor.
You can still opt for a loft staircase even if you aren't doing a loft conversion. These stairs will provide attractive, permanent access to your loft all year round! Browse our entire range by clicking the button below:
Browse Loft Stairs Now >
Sliding Loft Ladders
We've all seen this style of loft ladder before! That's because it's the most common one people install if they want to use their loft as storage space. Modern UK homes tend to be designed with a loft opening that's wide enough to support ladders of this kind (but we'd always recommend checking your loft hatch dimensions before making a purchase).
This style of sliding ladder comes in aluminium (like the Werner 3 Section Hideaway Loft Ladder shown above) and wooden variations. The wooden styles are a little quieter and more sturdy - making them ideal for older homeowners or frequent loft users. Despite being noisier, aluminium sliding loft ladders are lightweight which makes them perfect for light usage scenarios.
Concertina Loft Ladders
If you're really strapped for space, you might find that a concertina loft ladder is your best option. Concertina ladders take up virtually no space in your loft or hallway, making them ideal for smaller attics and properties.
We know that these concertina ladders can be a bit flimsy, that's why we only offer concertina ladders from brands that we know and trust. Columbus and Dolle both offer a great selection of concertina ladders that will help you make the most of your loft space!
Other things to consider when choosing a loft ladder
- What is the maximum load that the loft ladder will need to support? If you plan to carry heavy items into your attic, you will need to choose a loft ladder that can support your weight, plus the additional weight.
- Do you need a handrail? If you think you (or other loft ladder users in your household) will struggle to get up and down the loft ladder without a handrail, then consider buying a ladder with a handrail built-in. The Youngman Deluxe 2 Section Loft Ladder comes with two handrails as standard!
- Are you installing the loft ladder yourself? If so, you will also need a step ladder that's tall enough to reach the loft hatch without requiring you to extend above the safe working height.
Browse All Loft Ladders Here >
If you're still not sure which loft ladder is the right choice for you, Get in touch. We can recommend a ladder that will work for your loft dimensions and needs!