Whether you've decided to clean your windows, paint the outside of your house or clean the guttering, you might be wondering if you can put a ladder against a window to reach the right height. It might seem like the easiest route to get the job done, but putting a ladder against a window can be really dangerous.
The short answer to the question - "can you put a ladder against a window" is no. You should never attempt to lean a ladder against a window even if you think it's secure. The force of the ladder against the glass plus the additional weight of you, your equipment, etc. can cause the glass to crack or shatter.
How can you avoid leaning your ladder against a window?
There are a few things you could try if you think you might have to lean your ladder against a window. All of these options are sure to keep you safe and prevent the glass from cracking. Remember, you should never climb your ladder unless you're 100% sure it's safe and secure.
- Choose a longer ladder - Finding a ladder that will reach past the window and lean on the wall above will keep you safe.
- Use longer tools - As long as you're not doing work that involves close contact tools, you could invest in longer tools to reach over the window. This is a great option for window cleaning.
- Choose a tripod ladder - Tripod ladders, like step ladders, have built-in supports that will keep the ladder upright so you don't have to lean against the window.
- Consider scaffolding - While this might seem like a bit of a drastic alternative, it can actually be very beneficial if your project is going to take longer than a few hours. Plus you won't need to go anywhere near the windows!
Possible dangers of leaning your ladder against a window
So, at this point, you might be thinking... I don't want to buy a new ladder... what's the worst that could happen?
Well, we've seen a lot of people work with a lot of different ladders so we know the kinds of injuries that can be sustained when you ignore advice and use your ladder in an unsafe manner!
Here are a few things that could happen if you decide to lean your ladder against a window:
- The glass could shatter at head height, causing shards of glass to hit you in the face or shower down onto you.
- You could be jolted off the ladder if the glass pane breaks and the ladder is suddenly un-supported.
- You might reach and grab hold of the window frame that's full of broken glass shards.
None of these things sound particularly pleasant do they, and they're sure to put you out of action for a while. We always preach ladder safety, but we're doing it for your own good - not ours!
If you're unsure which ladder is right for the job, drop us an email at email@example.com and our friendly team will happily assist you.
Shop All Ladders NOW!
- Ladder Safety Tips
- Carrying Tools Up a Ladder
- How to Climb a Ladder Safely